Friday, October 10, 2008

Somewhere to Fly

Paul bought me a ticket for a glider flight for my birthday. On September 19, we drove to the glider field on top of Harris Hill near Horseheads, NY and I did it. My pilot was a charming man who was a Korean War Veteran. He told me that none of the pilots are paid. They all belong to the glider club which runs the field and volunteer their time to take people up. The income from the tickets they sell goes toward the maintenance of the field, hangers, tow planes and gliders.

The tow plane that took us up to our first thermal where we cast off and floated on our own.


The view from my seat as we took off.


The view from 12,000 feet.


My pilot took this photo after we landed.

No motor meant that the only noise was a soft hiss as the glider wings cut through the air. It was a wonderful experience.

1 comment:

AltheaP said...

How lovely. Makes me think of an entry for the Miller Analogy test:
canoe is to motorboat as
glider is to ___________

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry Davis Thoreau