Sunday, February 14, 2010

Florida Journal - Orlando

The first evening in Orlando we went with our nephew David to a great little Irish pub in Winter Park called Fiddler's Green. While we ate (and the food was excellent) we played Trivia. We came in 3rd against the other tables and won a $20 gift certificate to use at our next meal.

Thursday and Friday the weather was cold (for Florida) and rainy so I stayed in and did some beading. Saturday was sunny but not too warm. We went out anyway, back up to Winter Park where we walked around the shops, listened to a little Bach being played in the park and had lunch. After lunch I spotted an ospray sitting in a tree and got a rather good picture of it.

Today we drove over to the Orlando Wetlands Park were we set out on what we thought was a loop trail about 2.5 miles long. Somehow we got going in the wrong direction, we think.... Anyway, we realized that we really didn't know where we were and it was getting toward sunset, so we turned around and went back the way we came. We agreed that, all in all, we probably walked about 3.5 miles, much longer thab I was prepared to walk for the first hike of the season. We saw all the usual birds, herons, egrats, coots, anhingas and vultures. We also saw a beautiful Red-shouldered hawk.


Below are pictures I took of a Great Blue Heron, a large turtle (the shell had to be at least 18 inches long) and did I mention the gators?






1 comment:

Bayou Woman said...

What a wonderful walking trail! I love your photos, especially the osprey! I photographed one Saturday near my home! Haven't posted it yet because my King Cake babies are getting so much attention right now! I invited you to come back and visit. We give away Community Coffee products weekly through random drawings from comments. You are auto. entered in this week's drawing!

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry Davis Thoreau